Dogs don't need to be treated between meals, but many people enjoy giving their pup something special every now and then. Many dog owners are aware that chocolate is poisonous for pooches, but what about healthy human snacks? While it may seem logical that what's good for you is good for your furry friend, many snacks recommended for people are poisonous to dogs. Here are 3 to avoid.
Over the past few years, avocado has grown in popularity as a delicious and healthy snack for humans. However, it's best to avoid feeding it to your dog. Avocados contain persin, a toxin which is harmful to several animal species. While dogs are more resistant to the effects of persin, they can still suffer from vomiting and diarrhoea after eating avocados. If these symptoms persist, they can lead to more serious problems like dehydration.
As sugar can be damaging to teeth and overall health, many people are switching to sugar-free sweets instead. However, candies like sugar-free mints, caramels and chewing gum are often flavoured with xylitol—an alternative, healthier sweetener. Xylitol is fine for humans, but it's highly toxic to dogs. In fact, it can be even more poisonous than chocolate, requiring much smaller doses to do damage. Xylitol ingestion causes a dog's blood sugar to drop, leading to catastrophic consequences like seizures, coma, organ failure and death.
While macadamia nuts provides humans with healthy fats, they're not a healthy snack for your pup. Unlike peanuts, which are commonly used in dog treats, macadamia nuts can cause toxicosis . Even a small handful of nuts could cause your dog to suffer symptoms like vomiting, fever, and difficulty walking. Remember that macadamia nuts can be found in various baked goods and mixed snack bags, so always check the ingredients list on your snacks before offering one to your dog.
If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, make sure you call your emergency vet immediately. Don't try to feed your dog any home remedy or vomit inducer without your vet's say-so; sometimes trying to make your pet throw up can make the problem worse. If possible, try to collect some of the food your dog ingested so you can show it to your vet when you arrive. This will help them identify the best course of action. Remember, when caught early, most poisonings can be remedied at an animal hospital without causing serious damage.